Monday, February 7, 2011

"I chose to be geolocation, yes, but not everywhere!"

Geolocation satisfied a little, much, not at all? Internet World. en share their experience. THE UNCONDITIONAL "A playful" by Antoine I am a user of Foursquare. The principle is that it is marked in places where we are. I do not mind because it relies on voluntary basis. In addition, there is a playful (and marketing for brands) because they can become "mayor" of places and receive badges.

This application has already resulted in my neighborhood disputes but also (and especially) meetings, competitions to get a place ... I'm not too worried about privacy, since only people that have been accepted you can locate. It may already be monitoring his mobile phone by the police and the mobile operator, so why not his friends? At least it's voluntary and source of entertainment! "It does not bother me," by Henry I recently purchased a smartphone running Android (my first), and I became acquainted with pre-installed tools like Google Lattitude.

It was during my first outing with the GPS activated on my device I got an email saying that Google Lattitude locate me constantly and I could turn it off if I wanted. I decided to leave this option to see what would happen. Several days later, I went on the corresponding tool from Google on my computer and I found the whole history of my travels since I got my smartphone! He recorded my every move, with intervals shorter or longer (up to 1 hour) and up to several minutes! Day by day, hour by hour, I was able to trace all my trips recorded by GPS for several days! Initially, it was a little scary to see all the data recorded "without my knowledge." But I must admit that in the end it became more fun than anything else.

I get the warning mail once a month telling me that Google still saves my position Latitude ... Maybe one day I turn it off, but for now, I do not mind having myself chosen this service and can stop at any time. "I do not post from home", by William applications I use regularly to share or access information geotagged, especially Geokko and Foursquare.

This is information that is precisely the characteristic of being localized, that is to say about where I am, and not necessarily available elsewhere, or even on the Internet. I do not think it could affect my safety, since I do not post information shown for example at home, but only from public places or outside, when I move.

Also, my user accounts are under pseudonyms, so there is little chance that someone could provide a link between the messages I left on Geokko, for example, and myself as a person. Until now, mobile services that often do not allow access to Web content via mobile devices. The arrival of geolocation via the phone can be used effectively in the mobile edge, and access to information that is not really static Web can offer.

I think it would be a shame to miss this geographic dimension. "A healthy fluidity" by Ronan I chose to be single-geolocation for a reason: mobile location-based. For example, I'm in town and wants to know the movies available in the vicinity: I go to the site of the largest chain of cinemas in the country where I live (Cineworld, for Ireland), I am located and I was moved directly upcoming movies that will be released in the coming hours, in the nearest cinema.

I'm all for not receiving generic information (antispam, secondary email address - and can - for registration sites, messages on my physical mailbox, etc.).. Such information is polluting unpleasant. The only information that interests me is that I am applying, or failing that, is really in tune with my tastes.

Geolocation is a filter like any other. Risks and negative impact? Yes, in a totalitarian and repressive state, I would not use it, but I think that in such circumstances, my LBS would be the least of my problems. We want to follow me? You could do it before, I differentiated tool users.

The tool can be used for good and bad intentions, things are just easier. The fluidity of information in general can only be healthy. "To say I was there!", By David I chose to be geolocalization via the Facebook application on my smartphone. However, I do not geotag all the time, and I made sure to block the ability to make me geotag by friends to avoid any inconvenience.

There is only me who can say where (and when) I am, and it is essentially another way of saying we were in one place - to taunt my friends too. For example, I went skiing without telling anyone, and I'm in location-based station, or some evenings. I am not using the geolocation to see if anyone is in the same place as me, in general, I know more or less in advance who will be at a particular location.

In addition, I have not the habit of watching the geolocation of my friends on the application. In short, the geolocation is rather a gadget that helps me to show me to places rather unusual, because the rest of the time, I frequent the same places, namely my school, my apartment, the downtown home of friends.

"Going alone on skis," by Michel For me, it's interesting because I can go alone on skis. The person who serves as my reference security alert can possibly help me follow, and if for more than an hour, it does not move, then there is a problem (unless it's a hallway at 45 °, but before I informed him that the particularity of race).

"Nothing to hide!" By Daniele I am located by an application for my iPhone and I consider it a safety. I really do not see why they made such a controversy surrounding these alleged violations of privacy, unless you are stuck in highway robbery, to be a member of a terrorist organization, a dealer or the reincarnation of Lady Di ...

My life is an open book, not that I tell it minute by minute blog on Twitter or Facebook sites I'm also not included, but I pay my taxes, my bills, my parking meter, I do not deceive my husband, and if the police know every minute where to find me, so much the better, at least if I break a leg in a wood by looking for mushrooms or strolling alone in my horse, my two main vices that we will do less time to find me.

So far as I'm concerned, the NSA can permanently rob a spy satellite on me, which surprised many, it can do, I have nothing to hide! THE "MID-Figueras, MI GRAPE" "Yes, but not everywhere," by Gwénola I chose to be geolocation, yes, but not everywhere. I use the Facebook application places from time to time, but especially to say when I'm in a cool place when I change the city.

So, my friends and family can see what I do and, somehow, to share these moments with me. Later, usually by j'agrémente photos. It is an application that is used when we want and not visible 24 hours 24. Regarding my friends, I find it nice as long as it remains casual and vague. At this level, there is no impact on my life, but it can have negative consequences for people who do not protect their Facebook profile, for example.

Indeed, if privacy policies are not implemented, attackers can gain access to such information, and then it becomes dangerous, especially for children and adolescents. I do not fear negative consequences for my privacy because I am paying enough attention, but some people may have troubles if they do not have the necessary perspective on privacy and the protection of their data.

"Browse the map with photos taken," by Johan I use geolocation to the application of Latitude, which can locate on a map my contacts, I've previously selected. This allows me, during a trip or travel, our location on the road. But my main use of geolocation is that of the iPhone camera, which allows me to save the place where a picture was taken.

I can browse the map and with pictures taken and I find it really convenient. The problem is that unfortunately, I do not think we have absolute control on geolocation. So there is great suspicion on my part. "I'm not worried" by Fabrice I'm 23 years old, I'm from the generation that saw the ordinosaurs happen at home, who marveled that addresses Internet and the strength of the new age world of social web and the mobile Internet.

The option of geotagging and extend it to my friends was at the origin of curiosity: how it works, if it works really well, and fun to know where his friends at any time. If my habits have not changed, perhaps it helps me to organize a trip, do not need to call a friend or colleague who is diametrically opposed to professional output or not.

If the service is accompanied by advertising, if it is not invasive, it may be useful to know the businesses, liquidations of shops nearby. I'm not worried, even though we can not lie about our proposal, but I am careful about the terms and settlement service providers geolocation. From the moment I have no control over the dissemination of my position, I would be worried.

It is the same whether the service is to move systematically to work. Another risk is the partner, colleague or boss who can become stuffy and constantly seek justification (rightly or not). Be careful, in this case, the proper handling to maintain its position a little liberty for his lovers and his unannounced short breaks (or not) on the cafe terrace.

"The need to" check in "by Peter This is a little over a year since I use Foursquare. At first occasionally, and now more evenly. As soon as I enter a new location or in my usual Starbucks, I feel the need to "check in". This goes beyond the aspect of fun pointing out to his friends where you are - because they do not care in general.

The only explanation is that, after awhile, it becomes a bit like John Locke in the series "Lost," which hits the numbers every 108 minutes without really knowing why. These applications reinforce this habit by providing fun aspects such as the geolocation Foursquare with badges and mayorship ...

property can no longer virtual course, but the frustration is very real when someone steals your status as "mayor" in a place you frequent regularly. I am fully aware of what information I leave and I am under no illusions about the fact that these data Foursquare mints, but at least I decide if / when I geotag (never in my example).

More frightening, by cons are applications that record the location information without the knowledge of the user, or at least without explicit action on his part (or latitude Google Neer Qualcomm). There, the risks of abuse and the consequences on security and privacy are much more real, because the control data is unclear.

THE ANTIGÉOLOCALISATION "The information war," Benedict I tested location-based services, including services of Google for iPhone. It is true that these services can be of enormous utility to meet friends, find a store ... but the price is it to give an incredible amount of information to other companies? The places we visited, the store that we have sought as much information used for marketing purposes.

You did not ask, for example, why some ads matched to stores that you wanted in your GPS or other location-based service? We arrived in the era of free movement of personal data. Just as it is forbidden to steal, it is prohibited from selling databases of personal information of users, but it is not clear who does what.

It is easy to protect information leakage when we know how to recover them in others. Unfortunately, war is the most important information because it has taken much of value but has also become commonplace with the development of new technologies. "Big Brother is watching you!" By Manon There are different interfaces to be geo.

It was of course Facebook and its recent application "localization" and Foursquare. Note that this choice implies a converse: it is located, but you can also locate other members. This choice is a double-edged sword: there are funny side, fun to know where and what our friends at a time.

You can also find a safety aspect - to watch his children, for example. However, there is a real tendency to fall into excess and a systematic control. Finally, we exchange a portion of their liberty against a kind of game Geolocation can quickly become dangerous, while Tech News Buzz knows when one leaves home, it's perfect for a burglary.

Without becoming paranoid, we must be careful with the information they disseminate. On the other hand, our society becomes increasingly voyeuristic reality television sets to the very concept of Facebook. With geotagging, it goes further and further into this side voyeur. Personally, I did not choose to accede to the LBS.

"Big Brother is watching you! "An attack on our freedom," by Colin I speak about my opposition to the extension of geolocation. Being geolocation is an affront to our freedom, our privacy, our privacy and even our tastes. Indeed, if we are permanently equipped with such a system, any institution can know where we are, and with this information, why not mount a full dossier on each.

Géolocalisble being, we can even know what room we spend more time at home, etc.. This system can be traced everywhere, we can know our habits, our recreation, our time ... All of which can be resold for more targeted advertising! Geolocation probably going to be used "for security", we are no longer free to move about without being constantly monitored, so as to make as much enjoy our freedom of movement and privacy as it is still possible! In short, all that to say that geolocation can provide you that bad.

Your friends do not need to know where you are, know everything about your privacy! If they really want to know, they ask you the opposite! As for those who feel more protected and because detection by the police, a geolocation does not advise on what you're going, only on your position.

In addition, police will always as long to arrive at the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment